Thursday, April 4, 2013

DiLisio's: 999,997 /Germs: 3

I have to come clean about something. I allow my kids to eat without sanitizing their hands. Some times after they've touched playground equipment, shopping carts, public hand railings, elevator buttons and some times,don't gag, after they've taken a whiz. I also allow them to eat food after it falls on the floor. Some times, well traveled floors. I know. I'm an unhygienic nightmare. I can also count on one unsanitary hand the number of times my kids have been ill since they were infants and still have dirty fingers left over. Now I accept that I may just be gambling and winning. Maybe my kids are so inundated with germs that the little plague inducers are killing each other off in the ultimate battle to see who's going to infect them first. I like to think that their immune systems are as fortified as Croatia, made indestructible by constant exposure. I'm not saying they never wash their hands or throw out floor food. They have baths every night. They scrub after they poop and on the rare occasion that they pet farm animals, I will use sanitizer. If a goldfish is encrusted with dirt and hair I don't dust it off and put it back in their baggie.I'm not totally disgusting. What I am saying is: If you ever see me loading my kids up with sanitizer or throwing out a perfectly good fruit snack simply because its kissed super market tile, it's totally for show; so you won't think I'm some sort of germ infested, plague producer who lets her kids feed on filth, which is exactly what I am. My grandfather, God rest his soul, had a saying. "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die." I'm pretty sure when he said that he wasn't envisioning my children gulping down mouthfuls of the tub water they've been marinating in but hey, we're all still here to talk about it. And healthy.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up this way and lived to see many days infection free. I can remember cleaning the dirt under my fingernails with my teeth. We played out side all day so I got pretty dirty. We lived in a "flat' (apartment) with a small hot water tank so, bath time meant we were bathed in order of cleanest to dirtiest. The cleanest kid bathed first so the water wasn't dirtied by the the dirtiest kid. There were 5 of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Dirt don't hurt. Sometimes when I see mother's in the grocery store, spending 10 minutes to attach that carriage seat cover I lose my mind a little. Of course when I was little my mother would let us hang out in the car while she grocery shopped, but that's a post for another day.

    ReplyDelete